Gemini, a cryptocurrency platform, announced a $400 million growth equity round, its first-ever outside financing, led by Morgan Creek Digital, now valuing the company at $7.1 billion.
In addition to buying, selling, and storing crypto, Gemini helps investors earn, spend, and learn about crypto, as well as create and collect non-fungible tokens (or NFTs) on Nifty Gateway, a wholly-owned NFT platform.
The company was founded in 2014 by Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss and has since grown to become one of the leading crypto platforms in the world. With this round of financing, Gemini will continue to bring simple, innovative, and secure products to market, and advance its geographic expansion.
A year of continuous growth
This raise follows a year of significant growth and product innovation for Gemini. In 2021 Gemini:
- Acquired Blockrize to help launch the Gemini Credit Card, which offers real-time crypto rewards and has a waitlist of more than 360,000 people
- Acquired ShardX, a developer of secure multi-party computation (MPC) technology, to enhance its crypto listing and custodial services
- Launched Gemini Earn that allows users to lend their crypto and earn up to 8.05% APY. To date, Gemini Earn has originated $4 billion in crypto loans.
- Supports more than 60 cryptos for trading and custody
- Custodies more than $30B in crypto assets
- Launched Gemini Fund Solutions to provide fund managers with custody, clearing, and trading support for crypto ETFs, closed-end funds, and other fund vehicles
- Launched Cryptopedia, an open access educational resource for all things crypto
"We are leading the first outside investment in Gemini because of our shared conviction in crypto and belief in the company that Cameron and Tyler are building," said Sachin Jaitly, General Partner of Morgan Creek Digital. "Their vision for the role of crypto in redesigning money, the financial system, art, and the Internet, and their track record of incubating and scaling innovative technologies, gives us confidence in Gemini's ability to continue to be an industry leader."
Expanding services across different countries
Gemini also increased its geographic footprint in 2021, entering the UK as one of the few registered crypto asset firms as well as obtaining its EMI license from the Financial Conduct Authority. It also filed its license with the Monetary Authority of Singapore to expand further into the Asia Pacific region. Looking ahead, Gemini will continue to expand into new markets around the world.
"In 2021 we diversified our revenue stream, expanded to new territories, acquired pioneering companies, and invested in industry-redefining innovations through the Gemini Frontier Fund. We also supported Bitcoin core development through the Gemini Opportunity Fund," said Cameron Winklevoss, Co-Founder and President of Gemini. "We are incredibly excited to continue to build on the frontier of crypto and give individuals around the world greater choice, independence, and opportunity through crypto."
- Robinhood launches crypto trading in EU ahead of UK entryCrypto
- Liberis secures US$112m in funding to fuel expansionFinancial Services (FinServ)
- Banking executives are braced for major GenAI impactBanking
- Exclusive video: Elavon on culture shift & change managementFinancial Services (FinServ)